Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Institutionalized bigotry

First off, if you haven't already (and this is most of you), answer my question! I actually meant it.

Now, on to the actual topic of the day:

Remember when it was acceptable to treat certain Americans like second-class citizens? When it was even acknowledged by state and federal governments that certain people did not deserve equal rights? Of course you don't. Most of us were born long after the Civil Rights Movement all but extinguished institutionalized bigotry. But today, the lead article in today's Houston Chronicle announced that Texas has joined the ranks of 17 other states that want to officially recognize discrimination against a minority.

Yes, Proposition 2 passed with an overwhelming, though not surprising, 76% of the vote. Marriage has been officially defined as a union between a man and a woman. Only a little more than a year after Missouri became the first state to ban gay marriage in its constitution (as I noted earlier), 17 more states, now including my current home, have joined its ranks.

There's so much I want to say, but it seems like I'd just be repeating myself and countless others. I typed up a full response to this amendment, but it just rings empty. No one is listening anyway.

But I do have this to say: one of these days I will meet a wonderful woman, fall in love, propose to her, and marry her. And to the government, I have one request: keep your God damn hands off it.

Song lyric of the day:
"And I wonder where these dreams go
When the world gets in your way
What's the point in all this screaming?
No one's listening anyway"
- Goo Goo Dolls, Acoustic #3

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home