Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Reasons Missouri sucks other than John Ashcroft

Since Missouri just became the first state to amend its constitution to ban gay marriage, I wanted to take the opportunity to voice a few opinions on the subject. Anyone who knows me well at all will probably find this post redundant, but oh well.

Let's make it clear right from the start: I oppose any amendment to the U.S. Constitution that would forbid gay marriage. This is part of a larger opposition I hold to any amendment that would restrict state and individual rights period. We've had one such amendment: #18, Prohibition. It was repealed by #21, and every time I pop open a Sam Adams I thank God for that. Well, not every time, but you get the idea.

Another thing to point out is that I fully support marital rights for gay couples. This stems not only from the decently large number of gay friends I have, but also from a simpler belief that homosexuality is a) not a problem and b) not something that can be changed by a clinic.

And I guess I've really summed up my perception of the issue with the two above points. I'd just like to expound a little on the tricky aspect of what happened in Missouri today. I have said I am vehemently against amending the U.S. Constitution, which to me is the backbone of our free society. Unfortunately, state constitutions are different. And the people of Missouri have decided, as the 10th Amendment of the Constitution expressly allows them to do, to do to gay people what Plessy v. Ferguson did to black people: they are now separate but equal. As much as I would argue against it, that's their prerogative.

I didn't completely expect this from a state that just 4 years ago opted for a dead man rather than our current Attorney General to represent them in the Senate. Still, I can't say I'm surprised. Anyway, enough rambling from me.

(For a more thorough, well-thought out analysis of the issue, visit Jeff Woodhead's first blog column here.)

Song lyric of the day:
"The perception that divides you from him is a lie
For some reason you never asked why
This is not a black and white world
You can't afford to believe in your side"
-Live, "The Beauty of Gray"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We don't all strive to be bigoted fascists, just the people in our government. Many of us desire the same good things for everyone, including gays. Please don't blame all of us for the follies of the rest. And... by the way, Sam Adams beer sucks more ass than Budwieser.

January 03, 2009 9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike, I live in this crap hole state. I agree and here in 2014, It still SUCKS! Most people out west refer to it as misery and their right. This state is full of backwards hillbilly rednecks. Springfield Mo is the most corrupt TOWN I have ever lived in. The only thing these idiots have going for them is the alcoholic-meth addictions. I could write a 26 volume set on how much Misdouri sucks, but I really have better things to do, like pack and get as far away from this ass-backwards state as possible. Anyone who even attempts to try and say otherwise, just proves my point more. The only people that think this is a good place are the same one's I refer to as rejects that are too afraid or drug-addicted to go somewhere new and better, which is anywhere but Missouri, sorry, I mean MISERY.

January 06, 2014 8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home