Saturday, September 02, 2006

Michigan 27, Vanderbilt 7

Not exactly the upset I was expecting. At Vanderbilt, we have what we call "moral victories", since actual victories have always been few and far between. Today was not quite a moral victory, even though I described being down 13-7 at the half as such to Aaron. I think the Wolverines outplayed us more than the score would indicate, so beating the spread is not all that satisfying. But still, I enjoy the national exposure, and all in all, I'm not entirely disappointed.

I had been anticipating this game for 7 months, and here's what I saw of the Commodores, both good and bad:

I saw a running game shut down and an O-line that looked a little shaky, but admittedly, they were up against a very strong Michigan D.

I saw an inexperienced quarterback Chris Nickson show significant promise: he needs to learn to tuck the ball when running, to step up into the pocket more when rushed, and to get rid of the ball when he sees defenders bearing down on him. He has the makings of a good pocket passer who can run, provided his receivers learn to not drop passes. If Earl Bennett can get his rhythm back, and he and Nickson get in sync, I think they can be as dynamic a duo as Bennett and Cutler were.

I saw a defense outmatched athletically, but I saw the potential that, as the season progresses, they could get smarter and use intelligent play-calling and adjustments to narrow the talent gap that often plagues Vandy. In particular, LB Jonathan Goff today demonstrated why he is our top player and one of the best defenders in the SEC, and if he takes a strong role as leader, I think the D can really buckle down.

Based on our schedule, I think we have the chance to make this a solid, perhaps even winning season. First, there are the "we sure as hell better win this" games against Tennessee State, Temple, and Duke. Then we have the "c'mon guys, we can win this" games against SEC opponents Arkansas, Kentucky, and Ole Miss. Even Alabama could be vulnerable. And is it possible that we're still pissed enough about getting hosed by the refs against Florida last year that we could exact revenge on the Gators? Only time will tell. And time, being intangible, is staying silent for the moment.

Today's song lyric is one of the mottos of my life, both with regards to Vandy's football team, and otherwise:

"Always working, reaching out for a hand that we can't see
Everybody's got a hold on hope
It's the last thing that's holding me"
- Guided by Voices, Hold on Hope

2 Comments:

Blogger Zhubin said...

I'm all for a running QB, but Christ, Nickson was holding the ball like a coffee mug. That's such a grevious flaw you want to blame the coaches.

September 07, 2006 12:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

blame it on college football. No team works on the basics. You guys also missed a BUNCH of tackles because every single player wanted to get on ESPN by hitting the guy with the Madden Football "HitStick". Every player on that team has two arms, use them Vandy.

September 07, 2006 8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home