Friday, February 24, 2006

Just in: actual music from Chinese Democracy

Yes, the Tampa station known as 98 Rock was just unauthorizedly playing tracks from Chinese Democracy on their morning show (and amusingly talking about how they expected a cease-and-desist from the recording company while doing so). I'm not entirely sure how they acquired this music (I only have a 10-minute commute so I didn't get to hear the whole story), but it's definitely Axl Rose's voice. Suffice to say, apparently my earlier post about the long-anticipated Guns 'n Roses album was accurate.

So what's my verdict, you ask?

Well, it's different than the Guns 'n Roses most people are familiar with, but we must remember that the band name is now something of a misnomer, as this is an Axl Rose project. Besides, different does not mean bad. In the song and a half that I heard, the slower one had a nice groove to it and would likely have been better if Cowhead hadn't been talking over it the whole time. The rocker had typical Axl sneering vocals and a solid if not Slash-quality riff. A cool outro too. I'm not sure all this stuff was worth waiting 12 years for, but it at least sounds like it will merit some listens.

I know I said I'd believe it when I see it, but I should have said I'd believe it when I hear it, which I now have. Or perhaps my old friend Billy Gates put it best: "I'll believe it when I put it back on the shelves and instead pick up another CD with a less assholish lead singer."

Song lyric of the day:
"The sooner you accept your loneliness
The sooner you're content with only this life
You've gotta learn a little patience
Like Axl Rose never did"
- Unexpectedly Sober, Tomorrow Tonight

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home