Saturday, July 30, 2005

In defense of a pro-life stance

Senator Bill Frist, the Republican from Tennessee who lost so much of my respect for testing the water for President Bush on the Federal Marriage Amendment, and then lost more for his "diagnosis" of Terri Schiavo, has gained a little of it back. Yesterday, the majority leader flip-flopped (in other words, actually changed his opinion on something after developing his knowledge - still don't understand why that's a bad thing) and reversed his opinion on stem-cell research, saying that the federal government should fund such research and urging President Bush to reverse his stance.

Of course, he's receiving much criticism from pro-lifers across the country. My favorite quote is from Reverend Patrick Mahoney, the director of the Christian Defense Coalition, who stated, "Senator Frist cannot have it both ways. He cannot be pro-life and pro-embryonic stem-cell funding."

Well Reverend, I've got news for you: being pro-embryonic stem-cell research is about as pro-life as you can get. I have no idea what kinds of cures and medical developments stem-cell research may yield. It may yield none. I don't care. I have witnessed too many people in pain, heard about too many people dying from various diseases, to not be emphatically in favor of trying something, anything, with even a modicum of potential to reduce suffering.

So Senator Frist, I salute you for coming back from the dark side and supporting stem-cell research. And President Bush, Reverend Mahoney, and others, I refer you to a previous post to enlighten you as to why your viewpoint is anti-life.

Song lyric of the day:
"I was just guessing at numbers and figures
Pulling the puzzles apart
Questions of science and progress
Could not speak as loud as my heart"
- Coldplay, The Scientist

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home