Wednesday, June 08, 2005

My return, and a brief word on stem cells

Well, I am back. Having spent the last month in Nashville and Virginia, my loyal reader (readers?) will hopefully understand that my updates have been few and far between. After all, I spent slightly less time sober than your typical alcoholic. But now I am hydrated, and daily blogging (yet again) recommences.

One noteworthy event that occurred during my absence was that the House voted in favor of increasing U.S. government funding of embryonic stem-cell research. President Bush has vowed to exercise his veto power for the first time during his presidency, and Congress will likely not have the votes to override. Unless, of course, monumental scientific evidence revealing that, oh I don't know, maybe that THE EMBRYOS CREATED HAVE NO CHANCE OF EVER BECOMING HUMAN LIFE ANYWAY. Regardless, it's currently being held up in the Senate.

A note to Dubya: if you do veto this, you have forever categorized yourself as a hypocrite. Aren't you the same man who was blathering on about this whole "culture of life" thing just a few months ago? And yet you would refuse to support something with the potential to save thousands? I'm not trying to say that stem-cell research is the end-all, be-all (as many pro-research activists seem to think). But at least give science a chance!

As for the other issue, of whether government should even fund this kind of research, I look forward to my libertarian friends' comments.

Song lyric of the day:
"I guess I should be ashamed
But I forget to be vain
I did the best I could I guess
But everything just bleeds
They say you're only sad and lonely
And no one is impressed"
- the Wallflowers, Bleeders

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home