Wednesday, March 18, 2009

"These are just words, and words are okay..."

As someone who performed the descriptively-named role of "Son" in the Steve Martin-penned play "WASP" in college, this story of defiance in the face of censorship puts a rather large smile on my face. (H/T: Jacob.) Not much to say about it, other than Steve Martin is awesome.

Side note: our performance of the play is memorable for many reasons, including: a) it's where I first met Zhubin; b)
it earned Jeff the nickname "the guy with the laugh due to his noticeable enjoyment of our performance; and c) set construction caused me missing the second half of the Vanderbilt-Kentucky game that year, the only football game I ever missed a single minute of while attending Vandy. (We ran to Vandy-Barnard to watch the final heartbreaking minutes of the game on TV, which if memory serves involved Zhubin swearing a lot. That game kept us from bowl eligibility in 1999. I can't help but believe that if I had been there it would have been different. Oh well, it just made this year's Music City Bowl that much sweeter. In other news, my God, that was 1999!)

"And if I forget you I'll have nobody left to forget
I guess that's what assholes get"
- the National, Theory of the Crows

1 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

Did you have to mention the year? I refuse to beleive it was a decade ago.

I find it hard to believe that it took Jeff that long to earn the nickname "the guy with the laugh." I mean, laughter is what Jeff DOES! I first made friends with him because he laughed at my lame jokes. My brother - independent of any Steve Martin play - also refers to Jeff as "that guy who laughs a lot."

March 18, 2009 3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home