Saturday, September 13, 2008

I hate to say it...

...but Charles Krauthammer is absolutely right. This whole "OMG Palin didn't know what 'The Bush Doctrine' meant LOL" business is a ridiculous example of precisely the wrong way to go about combating the choice of Alaska governor Sarah Palin as number 2 on the Republican presidential ticket. It seems to me that any reasonable person who watches the clip of Charlie Gibson asking Palin whether she agrees with the Bush Doctrine should think her reaction to the question was perfectly legitimate, regardless of whether they agree with her response. (Disclaimer: I have not seen the whole interview, and maybe the context leading up to the question clarifies, or perhaps further obscures, its intent.)

Don't get me wrong: I still don't know that much about Palin, and thus far, I'm not a fan. In the clip, she comes across as overly confrontational and at one point almost contemptuous of Gibson. But in my opinion, there is clearly going to be a backlash against liberal reaction to this so-called gaffe - I believe that was Newton's Third Law. This is playing right into McCain/Palin's campaign narrative of liberal media bias, and more people are going to come to Palin's defense than are going to deride her. There are plenty of right ways to go about discrediting Palin as a vice presidential candidate, but this is not one of them.

Now if you'll excuse me, there are more important things to attend to, like Game Day. Go Dores!

"Feels like there's nothing to explain
One more or less it's all the same"
- Screaming Trees, More Or Less

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Democrats should ignore the hell out of Palin. Last I heard, she wasn't at the top of the ticket, some wispy-haired old dude was. All these attacks on Palin make it look like there's nothing to attack McCain on...

September 15, 2008 10:55 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

My sentiments exactly.

September 15, 2008 1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home