Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Opening ceremonies... OF DOOM!

Harold Meyerson thinks that, of the two major events last week (Russia's invasion of Georgia, which incidentally caused waaaay too many jokes on our , and the opening ceremonies of the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing), the opening ceremonies were far scarier. Part of me thinks he's got a point, but my brain is so fried right now I can't think too hard about it. Either way, it's not a bad read.

"You can do anything
I should be so lucky"
- Maritime, Tearing Up the Oxygen

3 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

My co-worker's daughter was out of state and she actually thought the Russians were invading Atlanta.

August 13, 2008 7:57 PM  
Blogger Matthew B. Novak said...

I think he's certainly got a point. In discussing these Olympics with my wife I've commented that there's something to be said for China's ability to unite and motivate it's citizenry, its ability to educate them and enable them to be gracious hosts and dominant athletes at the same time. On the other hand, there are some very troubling issues about the tightness of control, the direness of consequence for failure, and the levels of pressure and limits of freedom that exist in China. A cuddly China makes it much easier to overlook those concerning issues and just see the glories of the system.

August 14, 2008 11:16 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Ben - led, I'm sure, by General Shermanov.

August 14, 2008 11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home