Wednesday, August 27, 2008

NFL Predictions 2008

Since Other White Meat posted his NFL predictions, and requested me to do the same, here goes. I hate doing this with so many unknowns before the season even starts, as it opens me up to the possibility of being relentlessly mocked for being gloriously wrong, but here goes nothing:

Division standings

AFC East: 1. Patriots 2. Buffalo 3. Dolphins 4. Jets

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm betting the Jets will tank under Favre (not necessarily due to his own fault). Otherwise, this division is a pretty easy one to nail down.

AFC South: 1. Colts 2. Jaguars 3. Titans 4. Texans

If the Colts don't win this division, I'll eat my hat. Titans won't overtake the Jags because Vince Young still throws twice as many interceptions as touchdowns. Texans are still the Texans.

AFC North: 1. Steelers 2. Browns 3. Bengals 4. Ravens

The gluttons for trouble known as the Bengals only get saved by the fact that the Ravens' quarterback controversy is between Kyle Boller and Troy Smith (when the correct answer is obvious: get a new quarterback). Browns showed some promise last year but won't overtake the Steelers.

AFC West: 1. Chargers 2. Broncos 3. Raiders 4. Chiefs

There are two battles in this division: Broncos vs. Chargers for first, and Raiders vs. Chiefs for last. Chiefs should defeat the Raiders handily in the latter contest, and I think the Chargers will edge out the Broncs, but it'll be close.

NFC East: 1. Cowboys 2. Eagles 3. Redskins 4. Giants

I have to begrudgingly admit the Cucking Fowboys are probably the best team in the NFC. Eagles have the talent, and this may actually be their year to make something of it. I would have had the 'Skins at #2 prior to Saturday's shitstorm against Carolina, but now I'm worried about Taylor's injury affecting the D and how long it will take the offense to grow into Zorn's system. I really think the Giants are going to feel the losses of Shockey and especially Strahan and have one of the worst seasons for a reigning Super Bowl champ in recent memory.

NFC South: 1. Saints 2. Panthers 3. Buccaneers 4. Falcons

Saints should take this one easily provided they don't underperform like last year (the addition of Shockey alone should give Brees another solid target). I'm giving the Panthers a shot at second because they've got some serious speed - could go either way with Tampa Bay though. The Falcons are still in intensive care from the Vick fiasco.

NFC North: 1. Packers 2. Vikings 3. Bears 4. Lions

The Packers have a lot of talent, and I think that will help buy Aaron Rodgers some time to come into his own at QB. The Vikings are weak at Q, but the rest of their team is just sick. Orton should step up just enough to inch the Bears ahead of Detroit in last.

NFC West: 1. Seahawks 2. 49ers 3. Cardinals 4. Rams

Hard to imagine anyone other than the Seahawks taking this one. I'm taking a wild guess that O'Sullivan will vindicate the Niners choosing him for starting Q; the Cards can't settle on Leinart or Warner, which hurts team stability. The Rams nailed down Jackson, but I'm not sure he'll be good enough to pull them out of the cellar.

AFC Wild Card: Broncos and Browns

NFC Wild Card: Panthers and Vikings

Super Bowl: Patriots over Saints

Let the counterarguments begin!

"I'm tired of aching, summer's what you make it
But I'll believe what I want to believe"
- Yo La Tengo, Stockholm Syndrome

6 Comments:

Blogger Matthew B. Novak said...

Packers over the Vikes? Two words: Purple Jesus.

August 27, 2008 10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really hope you're right about Pats v Saints in the Super Bowl. The offense in that game would be sick.

August 28, 2008 7:12 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I hope so too, but I just don't think the Saints have the D to make it there. I'm going Pats/Colts vs. Vikes - Minnesota reminds me of all the other teams (like Baltimore in 2000) that reached the Super Bowl with crappy quarterbacking...

August 28, 2008 10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made that same prediction Jeff. Vikes v Pats. I think their D and run game will carry them to a super bowl appearance. I don't think it will end the same as the Bucs and Ravens super bowls with a win. The Pats will be looking to give someone a serious beat down if they make it back.

August 28, 2008 10:34 AM  
Blogger Matthew B. Novak said...

As a Vikings fan, let me vouch that they are good at recieving serious beat downs. Especially in playoff games. We're pretty much the Cubs of the NFL. Excpet for the lovable part.

August 28, 2008 11:15 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

There's a lot of argument for the Vikings, but I really didn't want to jump on that bandwagon just yet. I couldn't in good conscience go with the Cowgirls, so that left the Saints. NFC's pretty wide open though; it depends on who performs.

I anticipate the Colts will have a first round bye, like always, and lose it, like almost always. Patriots are probably header back to the Bowl.

August 28, 2008 2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home