Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Why the Senate should be entirely Jewish

...because then we could get rid of all the pork! Haha! Zing!

Apparently, a group called Citizens Against Government Waste (CAGW = worst acronym ever?) has released a 59-page "Pig Book" detailing the pork-barrel spending projects approved by the U.S. Senate, which total $17.2 billion. With a "B".

Cringe-worthy points of interest: the top three pork-spenders were Republican (which may surprise my friends who vote Republican because they call themselves "conservative"); Hillary is number 13 on the list, which is not surprising, and Obama is number 69, which is just hilarious; and kudos to John McCain, who if he's smart will use the fact that he was not cited for a single wasted dime to his advantage in the upcoming election.

But so yeah, Congress, any time you want to stop wasting our damn money while deficit spending us into oblivion, I got your back.

(Hat tip: FARK.com, which I visit way more often at work than I should.)

Song lyric of the day:
"Oh, this time I really trust you
But it can't belong to anyone
And I'd be so sad if I lost it"
- Guided by Voices, Sad If I Lost It

4 Comments:

Blogger lsmsrbls said...

haha...I knew Shelby would be near the top--just wasn't sure how close.

What I want to know is why, if Thad Cochran brings so much money to Mississippi, Mississippi still sucks so much. Even if Wicker's not pulling in the pork, that's still a lot of money.

April 02, 2008 7:25 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Christy - Wicker's at the top of the house list... followed by Bill Young of St. Pete's (that's you, Mike).

Hilariously, Feingold's at the bottom as well. Making him, technically, the only kosher Jew in the Senate (the others are Coburn, DeMint, and McCaskill).

Anyway, earmarks suck and they're wasteful, but getting rid of the egregious ones won't really help us with the deficit. We'd still have to either make painful cuts in defense and domestic spending or raise taxes (or both).

April 03, 2008 11:56 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Yeah, I know in the grand scheme the earmarks help the deficit little, but the combination of pork-barrel spending, waging an expensive war, and cutting taxes, something's gotta give. (Of course, I like the cutting taxes part, but at this point, I hate to admit we really need to raise them to avoid economic disaster.)

April 03, 2008 2:43 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Isn't FARK dedicated to useless news? Why is a list of earmarks that a particular group considers wasteful considered FARK?

April 04, 2008 1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home