Thursday, March 27, 2008

Music question of the week: most unique album

I've recently been kicking around the idea of doing a weekly music discussion question here on the ole blog, both because the regularity of my blogging has been slipping recently and because passion for music is something which both I and most of my known readership share. So today will be the inaugural discussion question. Seeing as today is Thursday, I'll try and post a new question every Thursday and we'll see what sorts of things come out of it.

The first question in the series was inspired by something that happened this morning. For no particular reason, I woke up with the song "Holland, 1945" by Neutral Milk Hotel stuck in my head and decided I needed to listen to In the Aeroplane Over the Sea today. So, as I was listening, one of my team members walked in to ask a question and, upon hearing it, remarked that it was different than the sort of thing he expected me to be listening to. I laughed, seeing as it's one of my favorite albums, but upon further reflection I realized he was right: it doesn't really fit in with any of the other albums I own and love. Looking among my favorite albums, it would likely inspire people to start singing, "One of these things is not like the others."

So the question is: what is the most unique album in your collection? I'm talking about albums you love or listen to frequently, not the Britney Spears album some relative got you because that's what all the kids were listening to in those days. What separates it from the crowd? What do you love about it?

Song lyric of the day:
"But now we must pick up every piece
Of the life we used to love
Just to keep ourselves
At least enough to carry on"
- Neutral Milk Hotel, Holland, 1945

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since my music selection for the past four years has been largely guided by what would sound good in coffee shops and low-key bars, I guess the most surprising albums would be the ones you'd be least likely to hear in those kinds of places. Excluding albums I just don't listen too anymore, I guess that would probably be Kelly Willis' "What I Deserve" -- a pop country album that I listen too fairly often.

March 27, 2008 6:45 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Probably Jonny Lang's badass blues album "Lie To Me." I have a bunch of country and a bunch of rock of all stripes, but that's the only blues album that's actually mine.

(Note: my iPod has a bunch of blues stuff on it, but most of that is from my dad's collection.)

March 28, 2008 10:15 AM  
Blogger Matthew B. Novak said...

Like Jacob, I'm going to exclude things I don't ever listen to anymore. That leaves one of two ablums. First, their's the soundtrack to the German (I think) movie Lammbock. I went out and got it because it had a song on it that I fell in love with when I studied abroad but couldn't find anywhere else. Turns out this movie had a ton of great songs most people have never heard. The other possibility is also something from my time abroad; Kosheen's album Resist. They're a UK drum and bass group, not my normal stuff, but there's some amazing songs on the album.

March 28, 2008 10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home