Thursday, November 15, 2007

Bonds indicted

Not that I didn't see it coming, but it was still shocking to go to CNN.com and see that the recently ordained all-time Major League Baseball home run leader Barry Bonds has been indicted on charges of perjury and obstruction of justice. I must admit I share the curiosity of Bonds' counsel as to what sort of new evidence has suddenly come to light.

But of course, I am primarily curious what impact this will have on the game of baseball, whose integrity seems to wear thinner with each passing year. My sincere hope is that we can enumerate exactly who is guilty of using illegal performance-enhancing substances, without any doubt, because then we can simply ban them from the game as we have done to Pete Rose, Shoeless Joe Jackson, and numerous other players whose offenses were less egregious or far-reaching. Sadly, I know that will likely never happen, but hey, a man can hope.

As far as the record books, they may be tainted beyond repair...

UPDATE: This op-ed piece pretty much sums up what I was getting at. Best line, and a point I hope the MLB folks finally figure out, is: "You can't get clean until you admit you're dirty."

Song lyric of the day:
"I always fall in these fights, I know why
Controlling the age, it takes a toll on my brain
Now, who do you think that is there?
I only call them when I know I don't see them"
- Interpol, Who Do You Think

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home