Thursday, September 20, 2007

Deep thoughts...

...and not by Jack Handey.


  • Police brutality or moron getting what he deserved? I still can't tell. I am, however, amused to hear the students yelling "Rodney King!" at the cops. As if 99% of students current enrolled at universities are old enough to remember the Rodney King riots. And as if there's any similarity whatsoever.

  • Speaking of morons, it's so good to have you back, Officer Nordberg. On second thought, no, not really.

  • Racism: it's easy to lose sight of the fact that it exists everywhere and not just the South, especially when some Southern states are just so damn blatant about it.

  • Please pay heed to George F. Will, Mukasey. He knows what he's talking about. He's a baseball fan.

  • On the subject of baseball, you heard it here first folks: the Cubs-Red Sox World Series I predicted in 2003 (and in each case was 5 outs away from) is finally going to come to pass this year. The Cubs will lose in true Cub fashion, but they will come back next year and win the World Series on the 100th anniversary of the last time they won the World Series.

  • The Redskins are 2-0. The Vanderbilt Commodores are 2-1. Notre Lame is 0-3. All in all, this has the makings of a great football season.

  • This may have been the most useless blog post ever. Oh well, I feel bad if I don't throw something up here every so often.



Song lyric of the day:
"It hit me today
Who gave who the right?
Who took mine away?
What a sight, what a sound
What a way to bring people down"
- Built to Spill, Out of Site

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

- On the student being Tasered thing - I don't know whether he deserved to be asked to leave, but it looked like the officers could have reasonably seen themselves as being in danger, so he probably deserved the Taser for scuffling with the officers.

- The Cubs? Hah. Won't get past the D-backs (provided they make the playoffs). Hey, I'm in Tempe now, gotta support the locals.

- The Texans are 2-0 too. Your Cubs-Sox series won't cause as many sports talking-heads to explode as will a 'Skins-Texans Super Bowl.

- I respect Will. Though what are the chances that Senators will actually ask Mukasey questions instead of just listening to themselves speak?

- There are so many things about the Jena Six case that disgust me, I don't know where to start...

I think you had another topic on there, but I can't remember what it was... I put some things into the Annoying Useless Crap Parading As News filter on my brain so it might have gotten stuck in there.

September 21, 2007 2:16 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

What's the deal with the Jena Six? All I know is 6 black teenagers were arrested and civil rights protesters protested and a conviction was overturned.

Really like Will's questions. They go to the center of all my concerns of National Security law. Mukasey should simply read my paper on Presidential war powers in the "War on Terror."

Is it clear that that student was tasered? It wasn't at all clear to me from the video. I guess everybody else is saying he was and he yelled "taser"...but I don't see it.

Yeah, yeah sports. Whatever. I still want to see 3:10 to Yuma, Shoot 'em Up, and Into the Wild.

O.J. Simpson - the dumbest person on the face of the earth?.....Or too dumb to be graced with such a compliment?

September 28, 2007 11:29 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

3:10 to Yuma is a frickin' awesome movie. Danielle and I both loved it.

And the Jena Six case is a blatant example of white people being treated differently from black people when it comes to charging and sentencing. In this case, black kids were charged as adults for attempted murder for beating up a white kid, while white kids that roughed up black kids were given slaps on the wrist (as befits kids in a fight). Inequality in the justice system is nothing new, it's just ridiculously obvious here.

September 29, 2007 10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home