Monday, April 30, 2007

A brief rant

So, I have about a 20-minute window in the morning between shower goodness and an exciting 15-minute commute on the most dangerous road in America. I like to take that time to eat a decent breakfast, drink coffee, and, perhaps most importantly, watch SportsCenter. Particularly during baseball season.

Because, as we all are hopefully aware, it is baseball season. The national pastime. The thinking man's sport. The sport that has carried our nation through many trying times. Baseball, the sport that marks the times.

This morning, I watched highlights from basketball and Nascar. I repeat: basketball and Nascar.

Now don't get me half wrong: as I've done in the past, I'm willing to make allowances for basketball. I understand it's their playoffs, I usually anticipate spending the first two months of baseball season watching sprinkles of hoops highlights, even though the main pre-requisite for the sport appears to be an unusual pituitary gland.

But Nascar? Nascar? Please, ESPN, don't taunt me. Don't say that Red Sox-Yankees highlights are on their way, and then show repeated images of Jeff Gordon's car getting pelted with beer cans. Oh, and a single roll of toilet paper. Can't forget that. What's Jeff Gordon's opinion on that roll of toilet paper? Please, inquiring minds want to know.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't everyone who watches Nascar, um, watch Nascar? Live. While it's airing? As in, they plan their day around it? I know most of my relatives do. So why, oh why, is it more important to show them highlights of the race they've already seen than to show us baseball fans the highlights for out-of-market games we haven't seen?

Okay. I'm done. Sorry about that. Thanks for letting me rant.

Song lyric of the day:
"And you know there's something else
But you can't give a name
Someone's selling all your heroes
And it seems such a shame"
- Luna, Lost in Space

1 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

The NASCAR highlights are there for those who follow a similar plan to mine when it comes to the "sport". That is to say watch the start, nap, watch the end, catch SC for the wrecks you slept through. I agree with the rant except for the disdain about the basketball playoffs, but it'll even out when I have to endure meaningless playoff baseball highlight on a college football Saturday in October.

In the spirit of NASCAR, I'd like to thank Dell and Rice University for providing the quality machine which allows me to make this comment.

April 30, 2007 11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home