Saturday, March 10, 2007

Welcome to the Jar

Taking a break from the quasi-concept album I've been working on, I took a little time today to finish up a song I'd had in the back of my mind off and on for a while. Not much to say about it, except that if you can't guess who it's about, you've probably never met the person (I guess that would be about one-fourth of my known readership). Anyway, enjoy and give feedback.


"Welcome to the Jar"

Now you’ve helped her come so far
Welcome to the jar
She’ll never wonder where you are
While you’re inside the jar
She keeps it on a shelf
While she’s out with someone else
And you start running out of air

No one else is up to par
That’s why you’re in the jar
She lets you out to mend her scars
Then it’s right back in the jar
She’ll poke some holes inside the lid
Forgetting everything you did
She takes for granted you’ll be there

You know that you could be the one
But she’s always on the run
And no one ever said it’d be this hard
So welcome to the jar

And I hoped that you’d go to the dark side
To finally find out how the other half lives
She says it’s not you, but does she know you that well?

And I tell you to cash in on the free ride
It’s not greed when there’s nothing left you can give
And she owes you something for the decades of Hell

While you’re searching you’re still blind
And then suddenly you find
And it’s never really what you had in mind

And she cries about her fate
But it's too little too late
How long did she really think that you would wait?

So you break free from the jar
And stop chasing shooting stars
Now you’ll never wonder where you are

4 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Yes, you are Barzelay, don't worry.

March 12, 2007 8:57 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

I'm guessing I'm NOT part of that fourth. And I will say no more on that subject.

N-I-C-E image, by the way. Of course, it makes me laugh to picture this tiny Mike in a jar.

March 14, 2007 5:46 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

It's even funnier when you picture the song's actualy protagonist being tiny and in a jar. :-P

With one exception (the song's protagonist), none of my blog readers have never met the "she" in this song. Ben, I have a feeling I know who you were thinking of, but the song isn't about me, and I have so far adhered to the promise made at the end of "The Science of Damn".

March 15, 2007 10:29 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Er, that should be "none of my readers have EVER met the "she" in this song." Which I realize only makes it more opaque, though I hope the general gist is still universal.

March 15, 2007 10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home