Sunday, November 05, 2006

It's been a while...

...since I last posted a new song. I almost posted one a few weeks ago, but ultimately decided not to, as it is both excessively dark and unfortunately mostly true. (Anyone who is curious about that one, let me know and I'll email it.)

But today I finished a new one, as yet untitled. I'm considering either "Limbo" or "If I Weren't A Little Crazy, I'd Go Insane" (the latter being the lyrical centerpiece of the song). Other suggestions are welcome. The song itself is fairly straightforward, but features three lyrics of which I'm particularly proud, including one pun that should delight Jeff. Bonus points to anyone who guesses which three.

Anyway, without further ado about nothing...


Found a good excuse to waste the day
Gonna do it 'cause it's there
And if I ever had another way
I must have lost it on a dare
Haven't called an old friend since last May
Hope she knows that I still care

But it feels like everyone else is moving on with their lives
And it feels like heaven sent an angel yet to arrive

Take another sip from your silver cup
And complain it isn't gold
They tell me I'm way too young to be giving up
So why do I feel so damn old?

'Cause it feels like everyone else knows how to escape the past
And it feels like heaven's angels just aren't quite up to the task

And it seems there's been a downgrade in the company that I keep
And even though I'm seldom tired all I wanna do is sleep

And I wanna wake up seven years ago
Back before my life was plagued by sex and death and vertigo
And I've killed so many brain cells
But I wish I could still know what I knew back then
But I guess that things can never be the same
Oh well, if I weren't a little crazy, I'd go insane

'Cause it seems like no one ever knows how lucky they are
And the more we're stuck in limbo, the more we lower the bar

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Limbo is a solid title for this one. Very nice effort as usual.

November 07, 2006 4:28 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

Very good. Depressing, but good.

I like the "downgrade in the company I keep" line. I also really like the "take another sip from your silver cup and complain it isn't gold" line...although if I saw those lines out of context, I'd expect the whole song to be about how we don't realize how blessed we are.

What kind of tune do you have in mind?

November 11, 2006 1:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home