Saturday, November 04, 2006

Electronic voting

Today I performed my civic duty by voting. I know there are at least a few readers of this blog who choose not to exercise this right, due either to apathy or disenchantment with the whole process. While I understand your concerns and certainly support your right to make that decision, I would offer the following counterargument: vote anyway. Go to the polling place and make your voice heard in some fashion. Cast an empty ballot as a statement against all the candidates. Vote entirely for incumbents if you're presently happy, or entirely for their opposition if you're not. Hell, write yourself in for every single position (that would be hilarious). But participate. Or at least don't bitch about the results.

That having been said, I was pleased as I cast my vote to note that the electronic voting machines here print a receipt for every vote cast, recording exactly which votes were recorded by every voter. A little Big Brother-ish? Perhaps. I'm not sure how much information is contained on these receipts, and not sure who has access to them. But ever since my Network Security class made me aware of the numerous security holes that exist in pure electronic voting, I have become convinced that such receipts are essential to maintaining the integrity of the democratic process. After close elections, these receipts can be examined by independent committees and the results validated. What I'm saying is some sort of record beyond electronic impulses should be maintained.

When you go to vote (assuming you aren't one of those I mentioned above), find out whether the machines you're using (assuming you aren't in Bumblefuck, U.S.A.) maintain hard copies of what votes are cast in some way shape or form. Primarily because, if not, they really should and perhaps you should write your Congressman, but also because I'm curious how many actually do. On second thought, make my curiosity the primary part.

Song lyric of the day:
"Just sit back and relax
Don't worry, I've never been one to notice much
But I'll be the first to say this is crazy
But if it's everything I'll ever need
It's everything I'll ever need"
- Days Away, Keep Your Voices Down

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Mine was Scantron, and the machine holds on to the ballot. Fortunately, that makes it easy to recount.

Did your receipt have your name on it?

November 04, 2006 6:05 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I didn't actually get a look at the receipt - the machine prints the receipt on a long roll that's collected at the end of the day, so I'm not sure what information it contains. Offhand, I would guess no.

November 04, 2006 11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I had a similar machine to yours, Mike. I didn't get a printed receipt of any kind, but the guy at the poll said there was a paper record created inside the machine.

November 07, 2006 8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home