Monday, August 21, 2006

Snakes on a Plane

Finally, a movie that delivers exactly what it promises. There are snakes. And a plane. And the snakes are on the plane. A more suitably titled film you will not find.

Believe it or not, this is a movie for people who love movies. Whether intentionally or not, it has characters that fit just about every disaster movie archetype. The token celebrity. The woman with the baby. The children travelling alone. The guy who's afraid of flying. The newlyweds. The stewardess one day away from retirement. The obnoxious guy you just know is gonna die a gruesome death and, frankly, you can't wait. The hordes of people that the writers couldn't come up with storylines for, so they just included them in quick snippets where they have crazy deaths.

And of course, there's the hard-boiled federal agent, played by Samuel L. Jackson, and I hope I'm not giving anything away when I say that, eventually, he gets to a point where he's had enough of those motherfucking snakes on that motherfucking plane. And then proceeds to get rid of them in one of the most deliciously stupid ways imagineable, by doing the one thing you never, ever do on a plane in mid-flight. It's glorious.

When I first heard of this movie from Jacob, I thought to myself, "That's the stupidest idea for a movie ever and there's no way in hell I'm going to see it." Somewhere along the line, the thought process transitioned to, "That's the stupidest idea for a movie ever and I'll be there opening night."

This movie is simply ridiculously entertaining. It's a great one to go see with friends in a crowded theater, making sarcastic comments loudly and applauding along with the rest of the crowd whenever a snake sinks its fangs into another protuberance, or Samuel does something badass. If you go into it expecting the pure camp that will ensue, you will not be disappointed.

Song lyric of the day:
"Speaking of tomorrow, how will it ever come?
All my lies are only wishes
I know I would die if I could come back new"
- Wilco, Ashes of American Flags

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home