Wednesday, July 19, 2006

I always knew it: President Bush is anti-life

Well, you did it, Dubya. Just like you said you would. You vetoed the stem-cell bill. Great going. Hypocrite.

Whatever happened to that culture of life you touted during the Terri Schiavo fiasco, huh? Actually, if memory serves, even while that was going on, a 6 month old boy was allowed to die thanks to a law you signed while governor of Texas. But fortunately, he wasn't a zygote. Thank God, because that would have just been deplorable.

You say: "This bill would support the taking of innocent human life in the hope of finding medical benefits for others." Not quite. You neglect the fact that those innocent human lives (though I don't consider them such, that doesn't influence my argument) are never going to be lived anyway. They're just going to be discarded along with yesterday's garbage. I suppose that's better than potentially contributing to the betterment of mankind.

You say: "It crosses a moral boundary that our decent society needs to respect." So crossing moral boundaries is a bad thing, but crossing national boundaries, say, those belonging to Iraq, that's completely cool? And oh by the way, how many innocent human lives have been lost in that debacle? And lives that have, say, feelings, no less?

I have nothing more to say. This blatant disregard for human life nauseates me.

Song lyric of the day:
"How many times has your faith slipped away?
Is anybody safe? Does anybody pray?
Life is waiting for you
It's all messed up, but we're alive"
- Our Lady Peace, Life

1 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

"Though I don't consider them such, that doesn't influence my argument."

Yes, it does. If, like me, you believed embryos were human lives you'd have a lot harder time being so strident about it. Like me, you'd be ambivalent about the whole thing.

First off - not all the embryos are discarded. A few, at least, are used in the embryo adoption programs Bush touts.

Second - yes most of the embryos are going to be discarded. But that just makes me wonder whether the entire process of in vitro fertilization that makes these "spare" embryos is a good thing. It starts to sound like a slaughter-house.

Finally - to Bush, and me, it ultimately comes down to whether it is permissible to sacrifice human life to save human life. And that's no easy question. Just because I come down on the opposite conclusion from Bush on this issue (that is, I accept the validity of sacrificing one form of human life to save another.....and therefore I give my qualified support to stem cell research), that doesn't mean I disrespect Bush for his decision here.

I mean, think about it. Stem cell research has the strong backing of the general public. Most people feel as you do. Nancy freakin' Reagan spoke out in favor of it. By using his first ever veto on stem cell research, Bush is NOT doing the popular thing here. I have to believe he's acting out of what he believes is right.

I still think he should be impeached for his disregard for the rule of law. I agree with you that he's a hypocrite. I disagree with his decision here. But I refuse to condemn him for it.

July 20, 2006 8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home