Friday, June 02, 2006

This would be the greatest travesty in history

Okay, I exaggerate. But I can still remember watching through idealistic 15-year-old eyes as rightfielder Tony Tarasco leaped in the air to surely turn a near home run by Derek Jeter into an out, only to see some 12-year-old punk with whose name I would become disgustingly familiar reach over Tarasco's glove and pull the ball into the stands, stealing a home run for Jeter, offering crew chief Rich Garcia the chance to make a bullshit call by not ruling fan interference, demoralizing my beloved Orioles, and robbing me of the opportunity to witness my coveted O's-Braves World Series. And oh by the way, we had tickets to the World Series had the O's made it.

Keeping all those things in mind, surely my readers must understand why this is simply unimaginable.

If I had never seen or heard the name Jeffrey Maier again, it would be too soon. And now there's even the slimmest opportunity that he might wear the uniform of the very team he destroyed?!?! Horse hockey!

Surely Peter Angelos has an ulterior motive. Surely the plan is to lure Maier to Baltimore with promises of stardom, only to have him be ambushed at Camden Yards by all the fans (and there are many) who still remember that fateful night.

I wish I could give that much credit to the Orioles' owner, but I don't. Oh well.

(Actually, the truth is, as pissed as I was back then and still am, if I ever met Maier in real life, I'd most likely say to him, "You're the bastard who stole the ALCS from the Orioles. I'd say that means you owe me a beer." And then probably drink with him the whole night and talk baseball. But only because I force myself not to hold grudges.)

Song lyric of the day:
"To find someone you love
You gotta be someone you love"
- Nada Surf, Concrete Bed

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you silly O's fans. Even us Bill's fans have gotten over "wide right".

June 02, 2006 5:49 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Good thing you wrote that last paragraph. Otherwise I'd have to come down to Florida and personally kick your ass (and then maybe buy you a beer) (and medical care, if necessary). He was 12 years old, for crying out loud! Kids do stupid shit. Hell, so do college students, if I remember correctly. I certainly don't want to be forever remembered for the dumbest things I've done in my life...or possibly for anything I did when I was 12.

If he's gone on to be a good baseball player and may have a career in professional baseball, good for him! I wish him all the best as I continue to ignore his sport.

But something about people who harbor such hatred for a 12-year-old overzealously chasing a baseball really rubs me the wrong way. And if anybody seriously holds a grudge against this guy 10 years later, they need to grow the fuck up!

June 04, 2006 10:19 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

While not the easiest move to explain to the fan base, if Maier is an available prospect the organization and the fans shouldn't hold the past against him too much. Although, the airing of the "highlight" constantly would get to me sooner or later.

June 05, 2006 3:34 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Indeed, Ben, I wrote the last paragraph specifically for those who wouldn't understand the sarcasm of the first few. Yes, I believe all those things, but no, I don't really bear a 12-year-old kid any ill will. (What little ill will I bear is largely toward Rich Garcia, who failed to rule the obvious fan interference.)

It's a joke among Orioles fans and baseball fans. And it's comedic that it came to this. I don't expect you to understand. As I have said, there are those who don't get baseball. The rest of us just feel sorry for you.

Besides, whatever gets you down to Florida, even if it is to attempt to kick my ass and fail miserably.

And Aaron, fortunately, I have avoided seeing that horrific film clip since the news broke, but no matter, as it is etched into my brain for eternity.

June 05, 2006 8:44 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

My ire was really directed less toward you and more toward the folks described in the article who still hate Maier (sp?).

June 05, 2006 5:20 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

If by "greatest travesty in history" you mean "greatest thing to happen to the Orioles since 2,132," I would agree with you. Becuase seeing Jeffrey Maier in an O's uniform would be the culmination of my sports fandom.

Yeah, Garcia was the real villain of that incident (along with the jackass who made Maier pay for the ball).

Also, OWM - you can't tell me Bills fans don't hold a grudge. Some Bills fans I know are still convinced that Wycheck's lateral to Dyson was a "forward pass..."

June 05, 2006 11:34 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Touche on the Wycheck thing, Jeff. And I agree, Maier in an O's uniform would be ridiculously priceless and comical. (And incidentally, it was 2131 that was the record-breaking game. Not that I'm obsessed with baseball statistics or anything.)

June 06, 2006 9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it was a forward pass, just look at the dang replay. No, I haven't met a Bills fan that holds a grudge against Norwood. Most if not all blame Levy and Kelly for those losses. Its nowhere near as bad as those ugly, boring, loser O's fans.

June 06, 2006 2:45 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Don't you start too. It was a lateral.

June 07, 2006 11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will start. Thats my team, I'll take you down Jeff, oh yes, you will go down.

June 07, 2006 8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home