Thursday, June 08, 2006

Great album openers

Because posts about music have become a recent trend, I figured I'd start one of my own. Or maybe several. But to begin, a simple question: what is the greatest album opener of all time?

To me, a truly great album opener should be one of the best songs on the album. It should immediately capture the listener's attention and let him or her know they're in for a hell of a ride. Examples include Metallica's Enter Sandman and Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit. Other notables that have sprung into mind include Modest Mouse's 3rd Planet and U2's Sunday Bloody Sunday. Of all of these, the latter would probably garner my vote at the moment.

What's everyone else got?

2 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

Okay, I'll play along. Here's a few that come to mind:
Bowling for Soup -- Almost (You didn't specify it couldn't be a humorous ride)
Breaking Benjamin -- So Cold
Bush -- Everything Zen
3 Doors Down -- Kryptonite
MWK -- Godspeed

and my three personal favorites that come to mind right now.
3. Caroline's Spine -- End Up with You
2. Our Lady Peace Superman's Dead
1. Seven Mary Three -- Lucky

Destroy my recommendations at will.

June 09, 2006 2:26 AM  
Blogger mkg said...

I think the best all-time album openers are usually on concept-y-type albums...hence (and not all of these fit that category):

The Beatles: Sergeant Pepper
Radiohead: Everything in its Right Place
Death Cab for Cutie: New Year
Flaming Lips: Fight Test
Ben Folds Five: Narcolepsy
Ben Folds: Bastard
The Unicorns: I Don't Wanna Die

i could probably go on for a while...but i don't want to.

June 10, 2006 8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home