Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Another wannabe free-market capitalist gets grounded by reality

So the Senate decided not to increase the minimum wage. Not shocking, but noteworthy.

There will always be that part of me that really wants to completely give in to my laissez-faire attitude, go full-on libertarian, and say the free market will sort it out. In this case, that part of me is trumped by the much larger part that says $5.15 an hour does not constitute a living wage and is a ridiculously small sum of money to receive for any amount of work.

I honestly wonder what harm a reasonable minimum wage would bring about. Does anyone else have insight into this? Is it just that conservatives don't want government interfering with the market, or is there an actual foreseeable downside?

Song lyric of the day:
"I've come down with something
I'm frozen, tied up, cast in lead
It's simple, so says the captain
Face forward, move slow, forge ahead"
- Guster, The Captain

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Minimum wage should be raised BUT in all honesty good luck finding a job that pays that little. Even fast food is usually around 6.50+

June 21, 2006 7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home