Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Know your audience

And now, a fluff piece.

A report in the Washington Post indicates that the new film "American Dreamz" bombed at the box office. And I mean really bombed. $3.7 million? That's like "Basic Instinct 2" bombed.

Call me a dork if you must, but I really want to see this movie. Its satire looks almost as amusing and biting, and its premise as delightfully cynical, as "Thank You For Smoking" (which, by the way, you should go see. Right now. The blog will be here when you get back). I was extremely tempted to go this weekend to see this. Why didn't I, you ask?

The simple answer: teenagers.

I figured (apparently incorrectly) that the theater would be mobbed with obnoxious, too-cool-for-school teenagers - like it usually is. Seriously, the theater in Oldsmar is probably the worst I've ever been to in terms of the annoying audience factor. In retrospect, I should have realized teenagers had no need to see the film when they get to see basically the same thing on Fox every week. But I digress.

The point is (you knew I'd get around to it eventually) is that the producers of "American Dreamz" should have known who they were really marketing to: not teenagers, who seem to eat up ShiTV like "American Idol", but adults who recognize the dangers underlying the popularity of a show like "American Idol". Now granted, I haven't seen the film, and it may actually do a piss poor job of satirizing "reality" TV and the country's willingness to vote on something so trivial while so few turn out for the votes that matter. But still, I stand by my point.

As a side note, I rejoice whenever a movie is rated R, because a) since life is R-rated (okay, X-rated, but you get the idea) I feel much more likely to connect with R-rated movies, and b) as mentioned above, it will skim off at least some of the teenage crowd. Actually, I think an ideal ratings system would reflect target audience moreso than age appropriateness. Frankly, movies marketed to teens, even R-rated teen sex comedies, are appropriate for the teenage mindset, whether the MPAA wants to admit it or not.

This has been yet another pointless rant brought to you by Mike.

Song lyric of the day:
"I'm a war of head versus heart
And it's always this way:
My head is weak, my heart always speaks
Before I know what it will say
And you can't find nothing at all
If there was nothing there all along"
- Death Cab for Cutie, Crooked Teeth

12 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

I'm surprised that Dreamz bombed. I saw it in a relatively full theater with Kenny and Erin. (Kenny estimates it was maybe 60% full.) And I enjoyed the movie well enough. Definitely laughed out loud on a number of occasions.

Mind you, it was no Thank You For Smoking, which is drop-dead brilliant satire.

Still, it is a sign of the innate depravity of man that American Dreamz bombed while Benchwarmers made $19 million its first weekend.

April 25, 2006 6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAH




















HA

April 25, 2006 7:30 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Wait, OWMSJTP.....are you laughing at Mike or me?

April 26, 2006 10:11 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

He's laughing at both of us because he doesn't understand satire.

I didn't think it would be anywhere near on the same level as "TYFS", which was spectacular. But it does look pretty funny.

April 26, 2006 10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand satire. I just think it looks like a dumb movie but when you both said you wanted to see it... I thought to myself "called that one".

and Mike....hush up and go back to being a music industry killer.

April 26, 2006 12:41 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I'm just harassing you on the satire thing, pork boy. I can see where you think it looks like a dumb movie. As you said, taste is a matter of opinion.

And incidentally, the independent music industry has thrived in recent years due to music downloading. Thrived I say! Thrived.

April 26, 2006 1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sure, its thrived. IT HAD NO WHERE TO GO BUT UP!!

April 26, 2006 2:05 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Other White Meat, are you the "OTW" that commented on my blog? That doesn't sound like you.

But if it's not, I've been hit by a wave of weird spammers.

April 26, 2006 2:14 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Your naming conventions are cracking me up.

In fairness, you make a good point.

Yes Ben, it's still the same other white meat.

April 26, 2006 2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, I see. Now you feel like a doof and are trying to play it off by talking nice and stuff. Whatever man....

April 26, 2006 2:31 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I'm not sure I care about the color of your meat.

April 26, 2006 2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes you do. Stop acting like you don't care

April 26, 2006 4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home