Friday, March 24, 2006

Untitled

Yes sports fans, it's time for another excuse for a song from my end. As yet, it's untitled, but I've toyed with several ideas for naming it, including "Power Outage", "Rainwalk", and "Beautiful Sadness". Suggestions and comments welcome, and expected. And please forgive the horrible pun in the second verse.

Incidentally, as I was working on this and another song that will hopefully also be posted soon, I realized this was now 6 songs about the same thing. I've decided that's enough, and the next song will close out the story (and be blatantly obvious in doing so). The songs show an interesting progression, I think, and maybe one day I'll put them all on an EP or something. Or maybe just purge them all from existence.

Anyway, without further ado about nothing...

"Untitled"

The storm outside my window just blew out the power
And left me in the dark
Of my own personal cave where I sit alone with my memories
Like that day in the park

When we ran free and played hide and seek with the pillars
Of the fake Parthenon
And nearby the Greeks held dominion but we stood against them
Were we ever that strong?

I remember the night I took her out for coffee
So we stayed awake all night
And talked about music and poetry and dreams of the future
Knowing we'd be all right

And she laughed 'cause she thought I was trying to be funny
But I actually meant what I said
But I'd take it all back for one more chance to hold her
And rest safe in her bed

Then I turned away when I found out she fucked him
And she swore that it didn't mean nothing
But inside I screamed
So I laid down with the first girl who noticed me
Not surprised to find myself alone
When I woke from that dream

And I wonder
When it thunders
Will I ever find one like her again?
All my blunders
Torn asunder
By the one who will be my truest friend
As she's fading
I'm still waiting
For the chance that I finally won't fuck up
Masquerading
While berating
My old self for not being strong enough

So I ran down the stairs and forgot my umbrella
'Cause I needed to walk in the rain
And reflect on the things that I just couldn't tell her
'Til they drive me insane

And I looked to the sky and stared into eternity
It was beautiful and it was sad
Like these lives that we lead when we can't help but focus
On all we could have had

1 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

Your third from last line describes the song best. Beautiful and sad.

Not much need for me to wonder what this song is all about - though out of respect I refuse to speculate about the who. (That's not important to understanding the song anyway.) This is part of a series of far more straightforward, storytelling songs for you. And I like that series.

Anyways, I really like the imagery. Very evocative. Maybe all the more so since I can perfectly picture you walking in the rain.

Structure's interesting....all verse, a bridge, and no chorus that I can identify. Most interesting because what most people remember about a song is its chorus. As always, I wait eagerly to hear it.

March 31, 2006 9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home