Thursday, February 23, 2006

This could get interesting...

Well, as Jeff put it, we'll soon be revisiting an old "great national clusterfuck". That's right! The Washington Post and many others have confirmed South Dakota is about to outlaw abortion except in cases that threaten the mother's health, the idea naturally being to challenge Roe v. Wade. I'm not surprised. I knew it was coming from somewhere eventually. I just thought it would come from a more backward state.

But you know what? I'm kind of glad. Because I have to admit, I'm pretty curious how this is all gonna go down. I should be angry, and I kind of am, but at the same time, I'm beginning to regard this whole abortion debacle as a spectator sport. I personally don't have a dog in this fight: I lack a uterus, I've never gotten a girl pregnant, I wasn't an unwanted child. The same can likely be said about a large number of the authors of this bill too, but that's not the point. Someone was gonna challenge Roe, and it was most likely gonna be a group of old men sitting in a room anyway.

So I might as well just sit back and casually watch as all the people who think this issue is oh-so-important, like those morons who vote Republican based entirely on the party's pro-life stance, duke it out over the "issue" we resolved 33 years ago. Let's enjoy the ride.

Song lyric of the day:
"What's the deal with my brain?
Why am I so obviously insane
In a perfect situation, I let love down the drain
There's the pitch, slow and straight
All I have to do is swing and I'm a hero
But I'm a zero"
- Weezer, Perfect Situation

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home