Monday, February 13, 2006

The prophets are puking

In the great Woody Allen film "Hannah and Her Sisters", the Max von Sydow's character Frederick comments, "If Jesus came back and saw what's going on in His name, He'd never stop throwing up." I don't actually remember the quote (I saw the movie long ago), but I stole it from Barzelay's AIM profile because I thought it fit here.

Christianity is a religion of peace and charity. Islam is much the same (I believe they even count Christ among their prophets, but I could be wrong). And yet, somehow it seems that the more radical followers of the latter have forgotten the peace their religion preaches. A couple negative depictions of the prophet Mohammed, and they're burning things and killing people. I know I'm not the only one who finds this ridiculous.

On Friday, Leonard Pitts wrote an interesting article about religious reactionism. (Is that a word? It should be.) He talks about a cartoon commercial depicting Jesus staring through someone's window. I think I saw that ad last night, for a show called "Drawn Together". But I know for a fact Jesus has also been depicted on such cartoons as "Family Guy" and "South Park". In the latter, I remember a particularly amusing episode when Jesus became a talk-show host and got so fed up with his crazy guests he finally screamed, "Shut the fuck up! Jesus Christ, what is wrong with you people?"

Somehow I don't recall even the most radical Christians burning anything over those shows.

To conclude (since I really should be working), I fervently hope that the majority of pious Muslims are able to adhere to their religious beliefs in spite of the radicalism that sadly paints their beautiful faith in the eyes of many. My faith in Christianity was maligned at least partially by fundamentalism, which isn't a good thing. Every religion needs its majority of true, reverent followers to counterbalance the crazies that get all the media exposure.

Song lyric of the day:
"All of the desperate measures they take
All of the desperate hearts that they break
All are professing their religious love
Allah and God are in tears up above"
- Unexpectedly Sober, Holy Land (with a shoutout to Jeff)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home