Tuesday, February 14, 2006

My post on this Maybe Next Year Day

My old high school friend Ricky's away message this morning says, "To pessimistic singles, Happy Singles Awareness Day. To optimistic singles, Happy Maybe Next Year Day." I have chosen to be the latter, because as I've often said, it doesn't matter whether my optimism is rewarded, because I'm not sure what I'd be without it.

Anyway, I have little to say on this Maybe Next Year Day, except to point to a rather amusing Washington Post article called "What I Did For Lloyd". If nothing else, I figure Ben, Jeff, and perhaps even Aaron would appreciate it. If it helps entice them to click, the "Lloyd" the article title refers to is none other than Lloyd Dobler, the hero of the classic film "Say Anything".

I particularly like that one woman in the article points out the obvious: in the real world, the idea of a guy standing outside your window holding a boombox is somewhat disconcerting. Jeff, Ben, and I pointed this out brilliantly in our nearly-completed screenplay "Cherry Cream Soda", but that's a whole other story.

To refer back to how I started this post, I also like Cameron Crowe's assertion about Lloyd representing "optimism as a revolutionary act". It recalls to mind one of my favorite moments from the film, after Lloyd shows up to a party with Diane. A guy comes up to him, amazed that he got the Diane Court to go out with him. He asks, "Who are you?" John Cusack, playing the moment to perfection, pauses a fraction of a second and replies, "I'm Lloyd Dobler." To which the kid replies, "This is great. This gives me hope."

Lloyd's victory was for the little guys, the hopeless romantics who never give up. It's fake love, sure, but it's fun.

And of course, today's song quote is ridiculously predictable. Oh well. For lack of a boombox, I'll settle for a blog.

Song lyric of the day:
"Love, I get so lost sometimes
Days pass and this emptiness fills my heart
When I want to run away
I drive off in my car
But whichever way I go
I come back to the place you are...
In your eyes, the resolution of all the fruitless searches...
Oh, I want to be that complete"
- Peter Gabriel, In Your Eyes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home