Thursday, February 16, 2006

Bethany

Okay, so I've mentioned this song a few times before, and it has actually been done for a while, but I've hesitated to post it because I wasn't 100% satisfied with it. Regardless, with Ben referring to me as a songwriter in a comment on one of his recent posts, I figured that to earn such a title, I should probably post a new song at some point. Not to mention, I woke up with it stuck in my head this morning -- it's one of the most infectious guitar riffs I've ever written, in my own humble opinion. So anyway, here goes...

"Bethany"

I lay beside you once and smiled as I watched you sleep
Hey Bethany, you could have warned me what you felt was not as deep
When I woke up the bed was empty and you'd disappeared
Oh Bethany, what did this new Prince Charming whisper in your ear?
(He got some help from Everclear)

It took three days before I found out I had been replaced
Oh Bethany, I should know better than to love a pretty face
You got engaged last summer just 'cause he was good in bed
Bethany, you always keep me hanging on by a thread
(You haven't heard a word I've said)

But I heard you say that love's your greatest tragedy
Knowing what I know, I find it hard to disagree
But sometimes I think that love's not where you wanna be
Hey Bethany, you'll be the death of me

You showed up on my doorstep one night sporting a black eye
But Bethany, you swear that most days he is such a nice guy
How can I argue when he breaks you but you choose to bend?
That's okay Bethany, in two weeks you were on the move again

You flew to Idaho to meet some guy from the Internet
Oh Bethany, his charming lies just pushed you further into debt
I've never seen you single but you cry you're so alone
Bethany, your so-called misery is always overblown

'Cause I hear you say you're too fat and you need a tan
That must explain why you can get just about any man
In your history I show up as an also-ran
It's more than I can stand

And I know you claim that love's your greatest tragedy
Knowing what I know, I'd be a fool to disagree
Yet I think you're exactly where you wanna be
Hey Bethany, you'll be the death of me
Yeah Bethany, you'll be the death of me

So each time you claim it's just a fling
Somehow your life gets rearranged
And you always know they're lying
But you swear that they can change
You were everything I wanted
How'd you fly so far out of range?
Oh Bethany...

I used to think that honesty and kindness were the key
Hey Bethany, you really were the death of me


As always, questions or comments are more than welcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home