Friday, January 13, 2006

Progressive? More like aggressive

Sometimes I honestly understand where conservatives are coming from.

George Will's article in this week's Newsweek begins with the proposition that to further our nation's educational system, we should close education schools. Barely restraining myself from flushing the magazine down the toilet, I kept reading.

It turns out, under the flag of "progressivism", many schools that certify teachers are focusing more on promoting tolerance and "developing anti-racist, anti-homophobic, anti-sexist community [sic] and alliances."

Zuh?

Wake up, those who call yourself progressives: forced tolerance is no tolerance at all. I mean, granted, there are things to be wary of when examining potential teachers. For example, how is a homophobe supposed to deal with the flamboyant gay student in his or her class? Or how might racists react to minority students? But a teacher's primary challenge is, as Will communicates, to impart knowledge.

As I reflect on my education, somehow I don't ever seem to recall being fed anti-bigotry messages. It wasn't necessary. It still isn't necessary. The simple facts of history, when presented in relation to how they affect us today, easily reinforce the messages these education schools want to emphasize. Race, religion, and sexuality have nothing to do with algebraic equations or scientific experiments.

Poor teachers these days. They're up against not only their students, but their students' parents. When I went to school, my teachers were the authority, and I was to respect them or accept the consequences. Now, when a teacher is forced to discipline a student, so often parents yell at the teacher. Then a kid goes to school the next day, the teacher tells him to sit down, and he says, "My mommy/daddy says I don't have to listen to you." How is anyone supposed to educate kids in the face of that? And let's not forget television, video games, and the Internet. As Scott Stapp sang back before his messiah complex kicked in, "Hooray for a child that makes it through."

Anyway, I won't bore anyone anymore with my ramblings. My simple point is, education should be about learning. Children learn to relate to society by getting out in it. Maybe less homework is the answer. Nah, that's probably just wishful thinking.

Song lyric of the day:
"So I took a journey,
threw my world into the sea.
With me went the teacher
who found fun instead of me"
- Jethro Tull, Teacher

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home