Monday, December 19, 2005

A letter to the White House

Dear President Bush,

I am an American citizen who has frequently been at odds with some of your administration's policies. For example, I do not believe it is economically sound to cut taxes and increase government spending. I also do not believe it is the federal government's place to define marriage, nor to tell a woman what she can do with her body, nor to reveal the identity of secret agents simply because their spouses voice opposition. In addition, I disagree with pretty much your entire education platform, from No Child Left Behind (which, by withholding funds from poorly performing schools essentially ensures their continued poor performance and harms their students) to abstinence-only sex education (which will certainly not aid in your efforts to end abortion) to school vouchers (which, were they ever instituted, would turn private schools into public schools and leave us with the same problems). And of course, there's foreign policy - but we won't go there.

In spite of these radical ideas, I would like to humbly request that you not put any wiretaps on my phones or surveillance equipment anywhere in my house. I request this not because I am doing anything illegal that I do not want found out, but rather because I simply value my privacy, and I also value that little Constitutional amendment that protects American citizens against unauthorized search.

You do remember what the Constitution is, don't you? Or perhaps you skipped class that day because you were too hungover. Regardless, it's that little document that says, among other things, that it's your job to serve the American people, not to spy on them. Just thought you might could use the reminder.

Sincerely,

Michael Mott
Citizen

P.S. The word is pronounced "nu-cle-ur", not "nu-cue-lur".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home