Monday, October 31, 2005

You can't force Catharsis, nor a non-divisive Supreme Court nominee

For the past week or so, I've been working on a new song called "Catharsis". It would be my most personal song to date, and also perhaps my best, but unfortunately there's so much that I want (and perhaps need) to say in it that a) it's hard to put into words and b) even when it is in words it's hard to structure it into something resembling a song. I'm trying not to force it and just let it flow naturally, but when I get really excited about a song, that's hard sometimes. Anyway, I offer a preview as today's song lyric.

In the meantime, what else is new? Hmm, it appears Dubya has a new nominee to fill Sandra Day O'Connor's seat in the Supreme Court. You know, I kinda have to feel for Dubya. He has increasingly seemed to have an almost boyish innocence about him, which is not something one should be able to say about a president. He was almost sheepish in his defense of previous nominee Harriet Miers. "I know her heart," he said. Aw, how sweet. Any clue about her ability to, I dunno, judge stuff in a litigious manner?

And so now we have this Sam Alito cat. If he is appointed, he should swap names with Justice Scalia, so we could have nice alliterative justices Antonin Alito and Samuel Scalia. Wouldn't that be nice? Because, supposedly, they're by and large indistinguishable.

Naturally, the Dems and Pubs will focus on his vast anti-choice record. Indeed, in my brief search, I've been able to find very little else about his case history than his monstrously ignorant 1991 ruling in Planned Parenthood v. Casey. But then, we fully expected an anti-choice Bush nominee, so who is really surprised? I'm curious as to where Alito stands on other important issues, but I will defer to my colleagues Jeff and Ben for what will likely be far better analysis. (Hope to hear from the latter soon.) Given the Scalia comparisons, I'm not particularly hopeful.

Song lyric of the day:
"I'm still waiting for my catharsis
'Cause I'm becoming so lethargic
And now we have to find a way
To make it through each day
And still come out sane on the other end"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home