Thursday, October 13, 2005

Leaving Nashville

For the first time in a long time, I have actually finished writing a song. Given that I finished it on the way up to Nashville this past weekend, it's sort of ironic that the title is "Leaving Nashville". I waited to post it because I wasn't sure what I wanted to say about it. I guess I'll just point out that even though I only started writing it this past summer, this song has been quite a long time in the making (depending on how I want to interpret it on a particular day, as much as 6 years). It's certainly not my best song ever, but I'm glad to have it done. Hopefully I will get around to recording it at some point. (And Ben, I swear I'll finish "Just Like Everybody Else" first.)

Anyway, without further ado...


"Leaving Nashville"

I made a mistake as I pulled into Nashville
I started thinking about the past
And as all the regrets kept adding to the buzzkill
I took my foot off of the gas

'Cause all I know is it's not what I want
I almost had it then
Back before she traded me for a beautiful stranger
And I chose to pretend

So which way would I go if I could do it all again?

I parked the car, got out and started walking
Under the stars like it was 1999
Tomorrow just became the day she'll take that first step
Into all that's possible
And out of the life that used to be mine

'Cause all I know's everything I've been told
By everyone who learned
They say I must be a pyromaniac
For all the bridges that I've burned

And I know it
All along I was so sure I'd blow it
Can't you see?
I've got something inside of me

But I hide it
What would it be like to live inside?
I'll never know
So how does the rest of it go?

So I'll live in all I never had
And it will always make me sad

The night we crossed the Cumberland
It felt just like the Rubicon
She told me true love never ends
I knew right then our love was gone

Downtown by the Cumberland
I washed away my foolish dreams
Nothing turned out how I planned
And no one hears my silent screams

I made a mistake as I pulled out of Nashville
I said goodbye and meant it...



Needless to say, that will suffice for song lyric of the day. As always, opinions welcome. I hope to soon be posting lyrics to other songs I'm working on, particularly "Bethany" and "Standard Issue Angel".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home