Sunday, October 02, 2005

"The dream went awaaaaayyyy"

Well, I warned all of my fellow college football fans not to be so quick to count Vanderbilt as 5-0. "But MTSU is 0-3 and suck," they said. "But we lost to them when they were second division, and we have yet to beat them," I said. "But this year's team is better," they said. "Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed, all I'm saying is just wait and see."

I hate being right.

Of course, I screamed at the commentators on ESPN 2 last night when they said Vanderbilt's bowl hopes were still alive, that we could still beat Kentucky and South Carolina. "Why not LSU?" I asked. "Why not Georgia or Florida or even Tennessee? If those games have already been decided, why bother playing them?" It's a question often asked by a Commodores fan used to seeing his team slighted. Sadly, it's usually answered with the response, "That's a good question" as Vandy gets pummelled by the top 25 SEC schools.

Oh well, I'd say this merits a song quote that describes my approach to the Vanderbilt football situation (as well as too many other aspects of my current life to mention):

"Reaching out for a hand that we can't see
Everybody's got a hold on hope
It's the last thing that's holding me"
- Guided by Voices, Hold on Hope

(Speaking of song quotes, bonus points to anyone who can identify the artist who sang today's post's title.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home