Tuesday, September 13, 2005

You can't hug your children with nuclear arms

Yes, I think that slogan is pretty silly. And yet, it seems somewhat appropriate for a brief post regarding the concept of nuclear retaliation. No, I'm not talking about protons and neutrons ganging up on those poor innocent electrons (or am I?). I'm referring to a disturbing article pointed out to me by Jeff and David Barzelay. For my semi-full response, please see my comments on Jeff's post. Suffice to say, I feel the United States should be a tad more big brotherly regarding our interactions with foreign nations. (And note, I don't mean Big Brotherly in the Orwellian sense. We have enough of that going on in our own country.)

As a corollary, am I the only one who thinks presidential power is getting grossly out of hand? A large part of me is looking forward to having a strict constructionist on the Supreme Court just to rein in the executive branch. I can guaran-damn-tee you the Founding Fathers did not have this in mind when they framed the Constitution.

Of course, I'll very likely change my mind if I ever get a president I mostly agree with. But somehow, I don't see that happening.

Song lyric of the day:
"The remainder is an unjustifiable, egotistical power struggle
At the expense of the American Dream"
- System of a Down, A.D.D.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home