Saturday, September 03, 2005

The most meandering post ever

First off, I wanted to offer a movie recommendation for you. The Constant Gardener, starring Ralph Fiennes and Rachel Weisz in what should be Academy Award nominated roles (particularly Fiennes, who is superb), is a very compelling and worthwhile film: a taut political thriller and sweet romance all rolled into one. I'm not sure if it's Best Picture material, as early buzz would indicate, but it's certainly a good one to watch. As it is my belief that anything but the most cursory reviews reveal too much of most movies to interested viewers, and as I am feeling particularly lazy this morning, all I'll say is it revolves around a British diplomat and his activist wife who uncover an evil plot in Africa. 9/10.

Second, I am now the proud owner of the first novel in the Left Behind series. I know very little of the series other than its general premise: the apocalypse comes, and all the good people, that is the good people who also happen to be Christian, are sucked up into Heaven while the bad people are "left behind" to fend for themselves. It was given me by a friend of mine who in turn received it from her boyfriend's mother in an attempt to "save" her. (Needless to say, she didn't bother to read it and was anxious to get rid of it.) I admit, I am somewhat curious as to the specific content of the book from a serious perspective, but I am also left with the hilarious indelible image of the guy burning in torment screaming "Oh why did I choose to be gay?" in The Simpsons' wonderful parody "Left Below". I will try to approach it with an open mind and not as a work of pure comedy from a black-and-white mentality. That is, assuming I can ever get to it amid all the schoolwork and backlog of books I need to read.

And finally, I just wanted to send a shoutout to all the DJs at 94.5 The Buzz, particularly Rod, Theresa, and Travis, who have been working pretty much nonstop since Monday running a request-a-thon to raise money to aid victims of Katrina. Circa midnight yesterday, they were up to $504,000, which is just incredible. In addition, I have heard songs I never thought I'd hear them play, such as the Village People's Macho Man and Johnny Cash's A Boy Named Sue, both of which had me laughing so hard I could barely drive, but for different reasons. But seriously, the outpouring of support has been amazing, and I wanted to give notice to everything the city of Houston has been doing to aid relief efforts. And to all the victims of Hurricane Katrina, my deepest sympathies. We're gonna try like hell to get you all through this.

Song lyric of the day (from some New Orleans' natives):
"Any way you look, any way you talk it over
It's easier to let it slip out of your mind
But it rips your heart out..."
- Better Than Ezra, King of New Orleans

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home