Thursday, September 29, 2005

In which Mike explains what's up with the "in which" thing, and also why he's abandoning it

Many of my loyal readers, by which I mean Ben, have asked me what's up with the whole "in which" thing in the titles of my posts. Basically, what happened is the last two books I read (Philip Roth's The Great American Novel and Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose) both prefaced every chapter with a summary of what happened in that chapter, and the latter began each of these prefaces with "in which". I thought it was a nifty way to express things, so I suddenly decided to do it for no reason.

That having been said, I've suddenly decided to stop doing it, though this time I have a reason: I find the format too limiting. Almost every post title in this format has been of the form "In which Mike does something". That, let's face it, is pretty lame. Also, I'm getting sick of referring to myself in the third person.

So, as quickly as the post title trend was born, so it shall pass. Drop back by soon, for if I have time I should finish up posts-in-progress dealing with such things as American racism, traffic problems, and perhaps most importantly, music.

Song lyric of the day:
"I've been waiting half my life to find the real world
If you find the real world, let me know
But it never rains enough to cool my fever
All it does is rain"
- Long Winters, Scent of Lime

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home