Sunday, August 28, 2005

Some brief baseball-related venting

Taking in my Sunday afternoon Astros game, I was dismayed just now when pinch hitter Craig Biggio, and subsequently manager Phil Garner, were ejected from the game for what seemed to be minor offenses. The ejections occurred when Biggio flied out one pitch after having an HBP taken away from him because home plate umpire Doug Eddings ruled he did not make a sufficient attempt to get out of the way. The ruling, which I agreed with at first and then changed my mind after seeing the replay, was a legitimate judgment call. The ejections immediately following were not. I could see some validity in Biggio's ejection, since he did slam the bat down rather violently after flying out. But that was not when he was ejected. He was ejected for shouting something at Eddings as he walked away. Therein lies the problem. He was walking away, back to the dugout. In my opinion, umpires should only throw a player out when they are being confrontational and disruptive to the game, and won't let things alone after they get their two cents in. Biggio does not fall into this category. Garner certainly doesn't; although he was confronting Eddings about the toss, he seemed (in my admittedly slightly biased eyes) to be doing so in a calm manner. Nothing flagrant that seemed to merit an ejection.

To me, this is part of a larger trend I've seen: umpires who are too quick to pull the trigger. There was a rash of incomprehensible ejections earlier this year. Though I can't recall the player, I do recall someone getting ejected while standing at the plate and preparing for the next pitch, merely commenting to the ump on the previous one. Umps, you need to keep your thumbs in your pockets unless absolutely necessary. Let the players play the game.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled lives already in progress.

Song lyric of the day:
"Love forever
Love is free
Let's turn forever, you and me"
- the Gorillaz, Feel Good Inc.

(I hated that stupid "cool shoeshine" song, but must admit this one's growing on me.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home