Sunday, June 19, 2005

A memory lane, everybody wants one...

A mostly boring day concluded with a conversation with my old friend Ricky from high school. We were best friends in high school and still manage to chat periodically, as schedules allow. This time, like most times, we spent a lot of time reminiscing and discussing what we'd heard about people from our common past. Sadly, this time he was telling me about who was married.

Now granted, I am very much in favor of settling down quickly once you find the right one, but is it really possible that so many people have found that one already? Especially when I haven't even been close? Studies show that apparently our generation is getting married at later ages than the previous one, so why does it feel like in a year I'll be the only swinging bachelor left?

Anyway, ranting aside, it's always good to reminisce. Occasionally I wonder how life would have been different had I been able to stay in Virginia, near all my friends from high school. I certainly wouldn't have lost touch with so many people, as I have now. I would have been able to make it to the 5-year reunion, and gotten drunk and hit on all the girls I was too scared to approach back in high school. I guess, as the song I was just playing a little earlier says, "It's crazy what you could have had..." (Bonus points to whoever correctly guesses the song.)

Oh well, all those what ifs get you nowhere. They're kinda fun, and kinda tragic too. Like life.

Also, sorry for misquoting Pavement, I'll leave with some of the real lyrics...

Song lyric of the day:
"A shady lane, everybody needs one
Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God, oh my God
Oh my God, oh your God, oh his God, oh her God
It's everybody's God..."
- Pavement, Shady Lane

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home