Wednesday, May 04, 2005

The worst bill ever -- plus phallic phame

Picture if you will members of the state legislature waving pompons during a debate. Apparently, that's just what happened in the state of Texas recently. According to a USA Today article, the Texas state legislature just approved a bill to govern the content of cheerleading routines in Texas public schools. This has the potential to be dangerous for two reasons: first, it will represent yet another intrusion of the government into something they shouldn't be involved in; and second, perhaps more importantly, it will ruin adolescence for teenage boys everywhere. My favorite thing about the bill might just be the "you know it when you see it" line. That's about as subjective as you get. If you must make something this ridiculous into a bill, at least make it mean something.

(This is, naturally, not the first move by the state of Texas to move backward instead of forward - see my previous post on a return to 1950s values for just one example. I'm sure there are countless others.)

On a happier note, Jacob, who also brought the artocity of the cheerleader bill to my attention, recently posted our unpublished "Penis Dialogues" to his blog, in all its 7 line glory. It was, of course, meant to be a parody of Eve Ensler's "Vagina Monologues", which I unfortunately never got to see myself. The opportunity for parody is somewhat limited when the authors have no knowledge of the source material. Hence the result. You can read the full post here.

Song lyric of the day:
"I wake up scared, I wake up strange
I wake up wondering if anything in my life is ever gonna change"
- Barenaked Ladies, What a Good Boy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home