Wednesday, May 11, 2005

"I've said it before and I'll say it again: Democracy simply doesn't work"

Those of you who recognize my Simpsons reference in the title know what I'm referring to. Picture the scenario: a comet hurtling towards a city, experts certain it will kill the entire populace. Congress votes on an emergency bill to evacuate the city. One Congressman decides to tack on a rider in support of the perverted arts. The bill is, as a result, defeated.

Well, in reality, the city is the entire United States. The comet is the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. And the perverted arts is this so-called "real I.D.". Yesterday, the Senate passed (100-0, for God's sake) an emergency defense spending bill, with a rider that includes provisions for a new national identification system.

I don't really know much about what this entails. Most news coverage is focusing on the issue of making it harder for illegal immigrants to obtain driver's licenses and such. But if you believe some rumors, the Real ID will have a scanning mechanism that records personal information into a database. If that doesn't scare you, better read the Bill of Rights sometime.

I'd rant more, but I have to pack up and head to Nashville now. If you know anything more about this, please post comments (preferably to ease my mind, but also feel free to incite me to rigorous protest).

Song lyric of the day:
"Everybody knows that the world is full of stupid people..."
- Refreshments, Banditos

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home