Saturday, October 23, 2004

So, about this Mary Cheney thing...

I've read a lot of commentary on this issue recently and even discussed it in a few IM conversations, so I feel compelled to respond. The issue is how appropriate it was that both John Edwards and John Kerry brought up Dick Cheney's lesbian daughter in reference to gay rights questions in the debate. Here is my opinion, flat out: it was in fact inappropriate, but that is causing people to miss the larger picture. As usual.

Bringing up Mary Cheney was a shameless attempt to denounce Dick Cheney's character, which is a shame, because Cheney is much closer to being on the right side of the issue than Bush is. He handled the matter extremely well in the vice presidential debate, and honestly his recent handling of the issue of his daughter (if it should even be called an issue) has made me develop a certain level of respect for him.

So yes, perhaps using Mary Cheney as a specific example in their responses was wrong. But the real tragedy is that it overshadows the fact that Kerry was absolutely correct in his response. Bush dodged it, not wanting to piss off the Coalition. Kerry hit it dead-on: no, homosexuality is not a choice, and yes, if not marriage then at least full rights should be extended to all gay people. Kerry gave a straightforward, heartfelt, and intelligent answer, and unfortunately it was overshadowed by his use of a specific example that happens to be related to the vice president.

I read an interesting article by Richard Cohen a few days ago in which he assured his readers that Bush will not pursue the Federal Marriage Amendment if elected to a second term. As I am almost positive Bush will win in a week and a half, I hope this is true. I hope, against all hope, that we can just give gay people equal rights and go back to focusing on how to improve the world situation.

Song lyric of the day:
"I believe in Karma: what you give is what you get returned
I believe you can't appreciate real love until you've been burned
I believe the grass is no more greener on the other side...
I believe you can't control or choose your sexuality"
-Savage Garden, "Affirmation"

(I know, I can't believe I just used a Savage Garden lyric, but what the hell, it seemed appropriate.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home