Saturday, November 22, 2003

Patriotism, liquor, and music

The Houston mayoral race is in a run-off, so I got to vote for mayor today even though I wasn't here for the original election. In Texas they've implemented a system called "Early Voting", which, amazingly enough, means you vote early, before the official voting day. This is a great idea for numerous reasons: you get to avoid the lines on election day, the final voting tally can be calculated more quickly, and maybe now people will choose a candidate based on their stance on issues rather than some meaningless deep dark 20-year-old secret that gets unearthed two days before the vote.

After fulfilling my "patriotic duty", I got to see the new location of Spec's, the liquor store. They claim to be the largest alcohol store in the world, and I can believe it. They're inside an old grocery store and they fill every inch of it with beer, wine, and liquor. You name it, they've got it. (Actually, I was a little disappointed in their beer selection, but the wine and liquor more than makes up for it).

Vandy got crushed by UT today, 48-0. Glad I didn't have to witness that. The Virginia Tech game was also a heartbreaker, but fortunately USC all but secured the second spot in the Sugar Bowl by beating UCLA.

Closed the evening out by listening to "Tiny Dancer" by Elton John. The song always reminds me of the bus scene in "Almost Famous". Ah, the healing power of music! As Bob Marley once said, "One good thing about music is, when it hits you, you feel no pain." So true.

Song lyric of the day:
"Hold me closer, tiny dancer
Count the headlights on the highway
Lay me down in sheets of linen
You had a busy day today"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home